What To Do After A Serious Motor Vehicle Accident Injury
Motor vehicle accidents are unexpected and overwhelming. Especially if you sustain a significant injury, you may not know what actions to take to protect your health and financial future. In some cases, accident victims are not even aware that they can file a personal injury claim to pursue financial compensation. At Allegra-Law, LLC, we recommend following the five actions below to protect your health and to provide the best likelihood of recovering compensation after a serious accident.
Key Steps To Protect Your Best Interests
Allegra Carpenter has over 20 years of experience representing New Mexico residents in serious and high-profile personal injury cases. After an accident, we recommend the subsequent steps to provide your claim with the best chances of success:
- Seek medical attention. After a motor vehicle accident, your health is of the upmost importance. Seek emergency care if necessary. If your injury does not require immediate attention, you should still visit a medical professional soon after the initial impact. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent, but can require significant care later on. All injuries need to be documented by a medical professional to protect your ability to recover damages.
- Take pictures of the accident. Providing visual proof of property damage, injuries and the surrounding area after a motor vehicle accident can bolster your claim. Use a cellphone or camera to thoroughly document the accident scene.
- Record the contact information of key witnesses. Ask all accident witnesses for their names, addresses and phone numbers. You may need to contact them at a later date to verify details of the accident.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney. Before you speak with either party’s insurer, you should contact a lawyer. Insurance companies look to minimize or dismiss claims. A legal advocate can help protect the integrity of your claim and prevent costly pitfalls.
- Maintain a case file. Keep a file of all documents, bills, reports and information that pertain to the accident. Regularly update your file with notes throughout the healing process. This information can help prove the severity of your personal injuries.
Contact Us For Additional Case Guidance
If you are involved in a serious motor vehicle accident, call 505-340-3545 to schedule a free case consultation. You may also contact our Albuquerque offices online. We will evaluate your accident and provide an honest evaluation for what steps you should take to support your overall best interests.